My coworker and friend CC’s birthday is this week. She does not eat dairy very much, so I figured this was the time for me to try my hand at Vegan Cupcakes! I found the recipe at CHOW
I must say the cupcakes are so airy and moist, they came out really really nice! The frosting is not as tasty as I thought it would be. Next time I would add more vanilla or another extract to the icing.
Recipe from the book
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract,
chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Vegan Fluffy Butter cream Frosting
- 1/2 cup non hydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup non hydrogenated margarine, I used Earth Balance
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
Tomorrow these little vegan cakes are going to work with me, I will let you know what the birthday girl thinks and the rest of my coworkers. Check back for reviews 🙂