Well I am home on a LOA from work. I was told I need to walk around and you know how it is after surgery. So what I find relaxing is baking. I wanted to try something new for me. Cookies! Yes, cookies….everyone loved them, but I really felt that making cookies was messy! Maybe I am messy. I found the recipe on www.marthastewart.com I am not usually a fan of using commercial recipes, I like to find them on blogs after they have been tested and tweaked. But I had the bug and could not locate many cookie blogs.
I followed all of the instructions. My favorite was that the cookie had like a cake feel too it, and I love love love the icing.
Makes about 2 dozen.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a tablespoon or 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
Makes 1 cup.
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
These cookies burn very easy. I have a pretty hot oven, so I did not need to cook them as long. I went about 3 mins shorter that suggested.
I also think you should cut the marshmallow in threes instead of in half, they seem to melt better.